Monday, January 25, 2016

... Of A Drapetomaniac

CID! Escape! That is a very famous dialogue from a good old Malayalam comedy movie. Now, this is what I feel like yelling when in life's many situations. 
Oh! Its going to rain ... Escape!
My god, sister is coming... Escape!
Oh no! She will now start again on my bad choices of dressing... Escape! 
Shucks! If I go with them, I too will have to work on it .... How to Escape?! 
Well.. seeing my constant urge to run away, you might think I am a marathon runner. But on the contrary, I don't remember myself running anywhere at any time, without actually tripping on thin air and falling down. So then, how exactly am I a drapetomaniac? 
Have you ever been in one of life's inescapable situations, where you feel trapped and find that constant urge to run away to some place you feel safe. I feel it many a time. It is just the urge to run, but never to actually pick up the courage, put on the running shoes, and just run. So, if that is the case, you will surely find out that I have covered the whole wide world at least twice.  
Certain people make you want to run away, certain places make you feel like escaping, and even certain memories make you want to run away from them. 
Now for some trivia, the term drapetomania was first used in the mid 1800s to define the mental disorder of slaves who ran away from their masters. And the cruel white masters thought that the slaves who ran away from their merciless, vicious regimes were out of their minds! Believe it or not, the treatment given to the "disorder" was confinement, shackling, starvation, threats, and physical torture!!!
Now, if drapetomania is a disease or a mental disorder, I don't think confinement or threats will help me. Just let me free, I will not run away anywhere! 

No comments:

Post a Comment